In this age of civil discourse and upon the rise of modern civil rights groups, it has become apparent to us that not all police killings are sanctioned or appropriate. It can be hard to know exactly what to do following the death of a loved on in this kind of matter, even if you have the evidence to suggest that your loved one was innocent of whatever crime it was suggested they had committed prior to their death. The family of a 15-year-old accused of stealing a vehicle after he was killed by police is facing this harsh reality, as documented by

According to the estate of the boy, the death occurred in August two years ago, and the family has yet to be notified which officers contributed and view video footage of the incident. Community leaders and officials have since been urging the city police to adopt body cameras so this information cannot be sealed away. A wrongful death lawsuit has been filed with the city at this time to seek both compensatory and punitive damages following this event. Unfortunately, due to the lack of body cameras as discussed, the testimony of one witness is paramount to this case. The man alleges that the boy was non-aggressive in his actions and the police haphazardly fired, later saying he was using the apparently stolen car as a weapon against the officers. With the arrival of this case and another death in the more recent months, calls for body cams have reached a fervent pitch. The police responded: it’s not a priority.

In cases such as these, which are on the rise according to prominent figures in movements like Black Lives Matter, it’s important to seek the help of an attorney. The question becomes, how do you afford this and against whom do you press charges. In this case, specifically, the specific officers are unknown. The attorney representing the family of the young boy is seeking damages that include attorney fees, and many other personal injury attorneys will not ask for payment from their clients unless a case is won; if this is your only hurdle, do not hesitate to seek contact an attorney for help. When it comes to pressing charges, the attorney will levy a complaint or lawsuit against the state, which includes the police department. If the name(s) of involved officers are known, then a specific case can be made against them.

Don’t let a personal lack of funds stand in the way of seeking compensation for the death of a loved one. If you have experienced the wrongful death of a family member, an attorney will be able to help you. In the case that your loved one was killed by a police officer or other member of the state, this is no less true. Wrongful deaths should not ever go unpunished, and you should feel confident in seeking legal help when facing such an event.

read more

When you get married, you always think about positive things, like how you and your partner will be in it forever and live happily. But sadly, not all marriages have fairytale happy endings. Some end up in divorce.

Is your marriage in trouble? According to the website of Marshall & Taylor, P.C., divorce can be a complicated process, as it may include issues such as child custody, visitation rights, and spousal support. All these also have significant impact not just in your life, but also your spouse’s and children’s. So, before filing the papers, make sure that your marriage is really in trouble, and you are not just overreacting from a small problem.

You don’t communicate with your partner

Communication is an important aspect in any relationship, especially if there is a problem. If you and your partner are communicating, you will have a better perspective of their line of thought so you will be more willing to compromise. If you don’t communicate with your partner anymore because you are already overwhelmed with negativity, maybe it is time to file the papers.

Your partner is not cooperating

Even though you are communicating with your partner and both of you are clearly aware of the problems and the possible solutions, there can still be issues, like when your partner is not willing to compromise or says he or she will but his or her actions tell otherwise.

It is worse if you are already showing that you are willing to lower your pride and make your partner have the better deal in the compromise, but he or she still can’t be budged.

It is affecting other aspects of your life

Sometimes, you stay in a toxic relationship just because of other factors, such as the difficulty of dividing properties and the guilt of creating a broken family. But if certain factors in life are already affected, you might seriously consider divorce.

If you can’t concentrate at work anymore because of emotional exhaustion, and if the kids are already anxious because you always fight with your partner, you should think whether staying in the relationship is still worth it, especially if you think that the situation is not going to improve anytime soon.

read more

Substantial and Continuing Change of Circumstances that can Warrant a Change on Original Custody, Support and Visitation Court Decisions

A court decision on divorce-related issues, especially those that will affect a child directly, and especially too if the child is very still young, is meant to last; this is due to the fact that children need stability in their lives.

However, an ex-spouse wanting to change a prior decree with regard to the issue of child custody, child support or visitation rights, is no longer unusual. Courts also recognize that changes are most likely to happen, add to this the changing needs of the child as he/she grows (thus, a parenting plan aimed at serving the best interest of an infant may not be applicable to best interest of a 12-year-old or the best interest of a teenager). The only thing necessary is that the “movant,” that is the party seeking the change, be able to show a substantial and continuing change of circumstances, such as:

  • A parent having dramatic changes in his/her job, income, home, or having new children;
  • Relocation to another state;
  • Problems relating to the proper care of a minor child;

A parent having alcohol or drug problems, or exposing his/her your child to drugs, alcohol, pornography, or physical or mental abuse (it could also be that when the time the court decided on the custody or visitation issues, one parent had alcohol and/or drug issues, but which, after some years, have already been corrected, making him/her a parent fully capable of properly caring for his/her child;

  • The child has grown older so that his/her needs and desires have changed;
  • The custodial parent, re-marrying, passing away, or developing a health problem that will limit his/her capability in performing his/her duties in caring for the child;
  • A custodial parent going on active duty and voluntarily relinquishing his/her custody rights to the other parent;
  • The custodial parent alienating the child from the non-custodial parent by creating situations that will render scheduled visitation rights impossible;
  • The custodial parent turning the child against the non-custodial parent by consciously and systematically sullying his/her reputation or by spreading hurtful information against him/her through negative comments, ill-talks and/or false accusations. This attitude is known as Parental Alienation Syndrome (PAS); and/or,
  • The custodial parent, with the child, secretly moving to a distant location or another state in order to keep the child away from the non-custodial parent. This is actually a violation of the divorce decree stipulation that requires custodial parents to inform non-custodial parents regarding plans of moving to another residence, whether in the same city or in another state.

According to the law firm Higdon, Hardy & Zuflacht, the movant can pursue a modification by petitioning the court where the original divorce proceedings took place. It is possible that the court will not permit modification requests, but having a knowledgeable modification attorney on your side, who is familiar with what it takes to get a modification approved, may be able to help you get satisfactory results.”

read more

A particular brand of baby’s crib caused the lives of six children, all below 2 years old, between 1993 and 1998. The crib’s defective design made it to collapse on its own and, as it collapsed, it trapped the necks of the babies strangling them until they died.

The last death, which was in 1998, involved a 16-month-old baby named Daniel “Danny” Keysar. It was discovered that way back in 1993 a recall on the crib was issued. News of this recall obviously did not reach the parents of the babies, three of whom died in 1995 and two in 1998, or none of them would have died.

Regulation of the manufacture and sale, as well as ensuring the safety of consumer products, including children’s toys and nursery items, is the duty of the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), a government agency that was created in 1972. The CPSC’s specific tasks include:

  • Determining the allowed size of children’s toys;
  • Setting limits for toxicity of, and noise produced by, toys;
  • Making sure that toys’ batteries and magnets are inaccessible to children;
  • Ensuring the removal of sharp parts and edges which can wound children;
  • Requiring manufacturers to display product labels that will warn parents about a toy’s possible dangers;
  • Issuing recalls on harmful products; banning of products that can cause danger; and,
  • Formulation of product safety requirements.

Every year, about 69,000 children in the U.S. are rushed to emergency departments due to defective nursery and children’s products. In 2014, due to defects, the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission issued recalls on 17 million children’s products, which included infant carriers, full-size and non-full-size cribs, portable cribs, high and hook-on chairs, infant slings, strollers, walkers, infant bathtubs, play yards, stationary activity centers, swings, and toddler beds, among others. During this same year, the U.S. Public Interest Research Group (PIRG), a non-profit organization, released a report which identified potentially hazardous toys and gave parents tips on how to purchase only safe toys for their children; the report was titled “Trouble in Toyland.” The World Against Toys Causing Harm, Inc. (W.A.T.C.H.), another non-profit organization, also shares valuable information on dangerous children’s products in order to protect children from harmful toys.

A law firm called Schuler, Halvorson, Weisser, Zoeller & Overbeck, P.A. says that product designers, manufacturers, distributors, suppliers, and advertisers all play a role in delivering a product into the hands of a consumer, and all of these parties bear a responsibility in ensuring that the product is safe for use. Unfortunately, even a small oversight at any point can make a product dangerous to users, resulting in serious injuries, illnesses, or even death in some cases. Defective and malfunctioning products are responsible for thousands of injuries and fatalities in the United States every year. All those involved in the chain of distribution may be considered liable for any harm that will be suffered by innocent consumers.

read more

According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), speeding, which occurs in 33% of all fatal motor vehicle crashes, is the third leading contributing factor in road accidents. While it is true that driving fast will mean shorter time of travel, it is also true that, with speed, is greater risk of a car crash that can result to greater damage to property and more severe physical injuries.

Speeding, or driving at excessive speed, can mean driving beyond the determined speed limit or driving at the allowed maximum speed, but at times when road condition is not safe, like when the road is wet and slippery due either to snow or heavy rain, when the road is covered in mist or fog, or when there is road construction going on. According to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, a total of 32,675 people died in motor vehicle crashes in 2014.

Despite the danger it presents, many drivers overspeed because:

  • They think that overspeeding is neither dangerous nor a serious traffic violation
  • They need to keep an appointment or be on time for work
  • Insurance firms will shoulder the burden of costs in the event of an accident
  • They are not aware of what the maximum speed limit is
  • They believe that they are in perfect control of their vehicle despite driving too fast.

Every year, about 13,000 lives are lost due to overspeeding and the ones most prone to committing this traffic violation are male drivers whose ages range from 17 to 24. Drivers who overspeed should realize that speeding cars take a longer distance and time to stop; driving at fast speeds also makes chances of drivers committing errors higher.

As explained in the website of Karlin, Fleisher & Falkenberg, speed limits are intended to keep people safe; thus, when people choose to drive faster than the speed limit allows, they demonstrate an obvious and willful disregard for the safety of others that is likely to make them liable for any accidents they cause. This is a case wherein a person, who is hit by an overspeeding driver, can file a legal claim for all damages that he or she has been unjustly made to suffer.

read more